The media has seemingly always had a love affair with Michael Jackson, a publicity attraction. Michael became the biggest star on the planet. A lot of Michael’s success could be credited for his ability to use PR to brand himself and often reinventing his brand awareness.
Jackson was first introduced to the world through the Jackson 5 hit “I Want You Back” which reached #1 on the Billboard Hot 100.
Michael the PR machine, a countdown of Michael Jackson’s Greatest PR Hits:
1. Became “ King of Pop”
2. Launched “Moonwalk”
3. Married Elvis’ Daughter!
4. Launched Thriller!!! The best selling album of ALL time
5. Branded as World Humanitarian – Launched “We Are The World”
6. “Standing on Car” during Criminal Trial
7. Had Famous – Famous Friends!
8. Defined Disco with “The Robot” on Soul Train
My greatest Michael moment of all time!! I was hooked as a fan forever
9. Spotlighted Pediatric AIDS – Dangerous World Tour benefiting Heal the World Foundation
10. Superbowl XXVII Halftime Show First Ever – Featured ONLY Michael
11. Made Rock and Roll Hall of Fame History – Youngest living solo artist inducted
While there are countless of great PR hits achieved by Michael Jackson. This list is a remembrance of the greatest PR moves that impacted Michael’s career and made him an Icon. Please feel free to list a PR hit that Michael made that helped to make him an Icon and undisputedly the King of Pop.
R.I.P Michael Jackson we will miss you!